View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
320touring
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
If the goal is to get 35mpgUK, you could either hypermile a BMW 535i, or drive a diesel Civic like an absolute hooligan. Your choice.

However, the Civic leaves you the option of getting >>35mpgUK, and it saves you money up front.

*sigh*... if people made rational decisions about cars, cars would be like aircraft. There would be a handful of body types (Insight, Prius, truck with a minivan-styled cab), and cars within those types would look almost identical. The dealer would ask you what interior options you prefer, and how long you'd like your boat tail.
I'd rather have the BMW

I fully take your point re the Civic diesel, and I'm currently looking at replacing my e36 318iS with a diesel varient (possibly a 318TDS) to improve my daily MPG figure.

The 535i is an indulgance, admittedly, but one that is worth having. The 3.5 is capable of decent mileage for a large engine- and will only be used when I have to carry 4 in comfort, or am attending a trackday etc.

Fair comment re the choice of cars if it were more like aircraft.. however, this car is 22 years old- I didnt order it yesterday

Financially, this car would be a rational decision- It'll take a helluva lot of miles and Fuel to get to the per month cost of a new car/insurance/tax/then fuel on top..

I honestly dont think there is a simple answer to issues like this