View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kodak
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
So close to highway rating

Today's fill yielded 23.978mpg. I know 24 is within reach for this 'around town' commute.

The pros: I can use 5th in one segment of my commute where previously 4th was used. I used neutral to traffic lights when coasting in gear would have caused too much engine braking. I'm getting better at shifting by ear.

The cons: A few lights were timed rather poorly. Construction zones made me lose a bit of momentum. This tank included some A/C and blower use. I know this summer will mean only more A/C use, but hopefully the warmer temps will cancel out that factor.

When I filled up, the number of gallons seemed unreal. I had to go to a second click to verify that I was truly on full. Had I not done that, this might have been a 24mpg tank.

I am hoping that the warm summer weather (less dense air, better start-up temps) will mean 24 is right around the corner.

Even so, today was a personal record if I set aside the highway roadtrips that I've logged and only count around town fills.

Over the course of just 3000 miles, 24mpg versus the 20mpg combined rating, will mean 25 gallons saved - or about $91 at the current national average price.