View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
JMac
Musician w/ Light Wallet

SeaBiscuit - '98 Honda Civic DX Hatch
Team Honda
90 day: 39.99 mpg (US)
Thanks for all the input, everyone. I've narrowed it down to these three, and I'm leaning towards the Kumho KH30s. Although they are the cheapest, they seem to have good reviews (based on only three reviews on tirerack). My main concern is the tread width. At 5.2", it's very thin, but it still has an A rating in wet traction. Thoughts? Anybody know any dirt on the Kumho brand and wanna talk me out of it?

The goodyears, I've heard, can have trouble in the rain, but I would assume that would be dependent upon the tire size, and weight on the tire. I was reading reviews from various cars.

The Bridgestones are terribly expensive for an old tire which is discontinued. Also, the tire that set that LRR benchmark was a slightly different size than I'm looking at, (It's a 185/70/14 vs my stock specs of 185/65/14). Actually the slightly oversized tire is a bit cheaper. What do ya'll think, would that be good to go for the cheaper, slightly taller sidewall B381? Has anyone seen some numbers regarding fuel efficiency gained from moving one notch up on the aspect ratio?

I appreciate your input. Thanks!
JMac

Kumho ecowing All Season KH30
Weight: 16lbs
Inflation: 44psi
Tread Width: 5.2”
Revs per Mile: 884
Price: $69 US

Bridgestone B381
Weight: 16lbs
Inflation: 44psi
Tread Width: 5.4”