View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
gabi
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
Hi Gabi,
I think this is a great idea to test out. I don't know what car you're going to modify, but most cars with alternators have a voltage regulator somewhere to regulate the alternator. The alternator will supply an almost constant voltage (about 14 volts) to the electrical system if it is rotating fast enough. That means if there is a load the alternator increases its current output to match the load. It is as instantaneous as can be.

If you are thinking of the 10.5 volt Li booster thingy, then as soon as you plug it in the alternator will be trying to bring it up to 14 volts. It should look like a hefty load, until something melts.

-mort
i drive a crown vic police interceptor 2003, the alternator is rated 135 amps, and a typical load from the ford manual is about 60 amps,
i'm pretty sure i'm using about half than that, since i changed to all LED lights, i don't use the radio, try to keep the heat and cool at minimum, also i have two 5 watt panels on the back window that help( dont really see 10 wats unless i take them out)

it will be nice if i can use all that extra power that the alternator is capable , for regenerative purpose

now that i know that it works how i want it i'll try to look for parts and how to do it

any ideas about how to do it ,or what parts to buy, are MOOORE then welcome,
I definitely don't want to melt anything thats for sure

i also like the alternator kill switch idea, don't know if will work just as good though, for one thing it can put to much strain on the battery, and second it might not "work" the alternator as hard as the other mod