View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
thentro
EcoModding Lurker

learn to love turbulence?

Hi all, first post here. Thats the car I have here, a 2002 Subaru Impreza and I am wondering out-loud about improvements for aero. Some things are obvious like a partial grill block, block small cosmetic vents and so on but my question is about about the air as it travels over the hood, windshield, roof, and back.

Things I am thinking about, come from this article "efluids bicycle aerodynamics"

In section 11, they talk about making a sphere much more aerodynamic by forcing turbulence into the boundary layer of air with a wire on the leading edge of the sphere. Aka the "golf ball" principle. So why is it then, that we put things like vortex generators at the back of the car? Wouldn't it also help to create turbulence right above the windshield, or right below it? Especially if you have a poor aerodynamic shape to start with.

I am especially intrigued about how the glider community uses induced turbulence with "Zig-Zag Turbulator tape".

Any thoughts on this? Do I have it completely backwards? Also I love the oil test they to on the glider wings, it is like the fuzz test but you don't have to drive behind the car to see the final results!