View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Do a tune up, only on that car is 0W20 and spark plugs are a dealer only part because they are indexed so you have to take a look at the head to see what plug letter is stamped, auto part stores will sell you plugs but they are not indexed, for the first few years they installed copper plugs then switched to iridium plugs, the copper don't last as long but they give every so slightly better mileage.
You might also want to read up on rebuilding the battery pack altho with the number of miles on the car it might just be that it was driven alot of highway miles, not sure how that affects the hybrid pack on the hondas but for the prius the pack is worked harder with stop and go driving and gets very little wear from highway driving, the insight the motor is also doing the work of the flywheel, not sure if they have a large capacitor bank or if the battery pack is taking this stress, but doing the test of flooring it while going up hill will give you an idea.
other tune up stuff, tires should be Low Rolling Resistance tires and I thought there were a few other oddities but I can't remember.
I think making sure that the 12v battery is good is important as well, the car will work without it but not well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
War_Wagon (04-08-2011)