Thread: 88 Fiero GT
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
some_other_dave
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88FieroGT View Post
48,000 volt ignition upgrade
iridium spark plugs
heavier duty spark plug wires
Ignition system upgrades will not help MPG unless your current system is rather borked. I'd skip the above in favor of normal stock-type replacement parts.

Quote:
6.39lb a piece volk ce28n racing wheels lightest in production from what ive seen 14x5.5
Be careful with lightweight racing wheels. They are typically designed for cars that are inspected thoroughly every week. They tend to be less robust than street wheels, and are more suceptible to damage from potholes.

Quote:
hoping I can do front and rear wide fender flares and covers without looking disproportional and still be able to turn my front wheels all the way.
Flares will increase the frontal area, and are very likely to increase the coefficient of drag as well. I would think that you won't need flares for 185-width tires, but I don't really know the Fiero very well. The rear skirts should be helpful, and if you can get front skirts that fit those will help as well.

Quote:
maybe try smaller injectors or since it would be easier if I cannot find smaller injectors or have some machined for cheap .... change computer settings to supply less fuel to give me a leaner burn. hopefully the cooling system and upgrades can prevent premature detonation after the warm air intake and lean burn mods.
Just reducing the fuel getting sent in will mean you run lean all of the time, and usually by an unpredictable amount (depending on temperature, load, etc.). If you want lean burn, it would be far better to use a wide-band O2 sensor and have the engine management set up to run at one particular lean mixture in cruise only when the engine is at operating temperature and everything is nominal. Leave the acceleration enrichment in as normal, warmup enrichment as normal, and most other circumstances normal as well.

Quote:
OOO yahh... under body pan , it seems like a fairly easy mod for the fiero because its pretty flat all over due to the design.

lower to 3-4" instead of 5.4" stock.
Sounds good! I don't know how the fast-back kit you mention earlier looks or works, but it probably couldn't hurt. The flat rear window and projecting rear buttresses are likely less optimal than even a too-fast fastback.

Quote:
Also ive watched a youtube video of a guy having his fiero's EGR blocked off , I dont know how much of a difference the EGR makes on the fiero.... performance / economy...
Unknown about performance. EGR will help with emissions, and can help fuel economy. Depends on how it is set up and run.

One more thing: For fuel economy, you can also change the way you drive. In particular, slowing down to the speed limit can pay good benefits on the freeway.

-soD