View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
My Insight and my Altima both had instant FE bar graphs. The Insight would indicate 150 MPG coasting at 16 MPH. The Altima indicates 60 MPG at 16 MPH.
Both were max readings on each vehicles individual bar graphs. I coasted down to the speed where the graph just started to drop off the max reading.

Assuming these readings are fairly accurate, the Insight uses 16/150 (.106 GPH) gallon of fuel at idle. The Altima uses 16/60 (.267) gallon at idle (both are engine idle speeds when coasting).

I found that you can pulse and coast (engine on) and significantly reduce your average fuel consumption even when the engine is cold, and you can read the consumption when cold by coasting and measuring the speed at which you FE goes below the max gauge reading (Altima 60 max, Insight 150 Max).

I don't use engine off tactics in either car, due to the CVT transmissions.

@euromodder

Idle consumption should be in GPH or LPH since you can be idling and moving at different speeds.

@kodak

1800 RPM for DFCO sounds high to me. It does go to a higher RPM when you have any additional electrical loads, especially AC. Try decelerating in 3rd gear with no additional loads applied. Not saying you are wrong but DFCO on some cars works down to 800 RPM.

regards
Mech