View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
endurance
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
I had a 1992 and a 1994 Integra and now have a 2002 RSX-S. I was able to consistently get in the 32-34 mpg range with my 1992 and on the highway 37mpg was not unusual with just a smooth pedal and no extreme hypermiling techniques. My RSX wasn't nearly as thrifty, averaging around 29mpg, but with good technique, I'm disappointed when I have a tank under 38mpg and before putting the snow tires on, 41+ mpg was becoming routine. While the little 140hp motor was designed more for power than economy, it is efficient at turning fuel into power, it's just a matter of finding the sweet spots and adjusting the nut behind the wheel. You also have aerodynamics on your side compared to many cars on the road.

My only mods have been to remove the mud flaps and put in a lower grille block to help keep the engine warmer, particularly during the winter. Understand that many of Honda's sportier cars are cursed with the same high RPMs at highway speeds. Fortunately, they still manage reasonable mpg despite this. My RSX is a six speed manual and sits at 2900rpm at 65mph. Heck, it's at 2000rpm at 40mph in 6th gear.

Even with those handicaps, it's a great little efficient car that will save you a fortune over that truck with some simple changes in technique. Keep it out of V-Tec by shifting often and keep the RPMs under 3500 (3000 when you can, but you do need the extra revs sometimes just do merge) and you'll immediately see a large boost. If it starts reliably, consider turning off the engine at stop lights and on long coasts (of course, I have one of the longest coasts on the forum in my daily commute with an 8.5 mile gravity drop requiring me to start for less than 5 seconds the entire descent).

Cheat to win and enjoy the game.