View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #79 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobAziza View Post
golly, one random comment turns the whole topic...

I do think the power steering pump on a clutch is a brilliant idea.

I just learned all about hydraulic theory in mechanic school.
A hydraulic pump uses the exact same amount of force at all times, whether it is under load or not! When you aren't turning, its resistance is just as high as when you are, its just that the excess pressure, instead of pushing on the steering rack, pushes on a relief valve and cycles back to the reservoir.
Its hard to imagine a bigger waste of energy...
Well, maybe using 25-30% efficiency internal combustion engines to power our cars :P
The energy from maintaining hydraulic pressure is less than you might think. Personally a bigger waste of energy is a gasoline engine, but that's just me.

Now a clutch on the ps pump is not a bad idea, but logistically how would that work? A manual activation is problematic, as one may not expect to use steering until it's needed, then it's not there. The unexpected extra steering effort can cause more problems than necessary.

And a clutch such as the type on an AC compressor uses quite a bit of electrical energy to keep engaged, further reducing the efficiency of the ps pump. I know this site is all about exploring ways to save energy, but this mod is not low-hanging fruit...