View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
gasman
EcoModding Lurker

well... I've read up on all the posts I could find (again, thanks for the link frank. it lead to a lot of info). My conclusion... I still see no reason why this will not work. Everything is still telling me that it will all but certainly work. Take small wind tunnels for example. How do they get laminar flow? They take blocks of honeycomb material and put it behind a fan. To argue that the honeycomb behind a fan would be no more efficient than a same size block with no holes just seems illogical to me. That is essentially exactly what I propose doing (though it is an extreme version). As long as any air flows through whatever duct is made, efficiency is gained (as drag/friction is diminished). Since air flows the path of least resistance, I can not see how it couldn't flow through. The questions then being ones of practicality.

As for chopping...

I see that as an example of the false dichotomy logical fallacy, as I cannot find a reason to support that the assumption of mutual exclusivity (between chopping and ducting) is true (among other reasons).

Whether or not the idea would pan out in practice is another story. But I very much want to know the answer...