View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #84 (permalink)
JacobAziza
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbo View Post
Yes, but car will automatically apply glowplugs when turning key to run position, kill switch mod of course would help there.

Bump starting vs using starter is then one thing, bump starting takes quite a bit from my speed, also probably causes some wear to clutch too, maybe using starter is more efficient?

Older diesels like in my Volvo 240 require using glow plugs even when warm, I reckon, it really takes long time to 'saw' it if not letting glow plugs warm, no matter if engine is warm or not, something to do with how it is constructed, I guess.
Previous owner replaced glow plug controller with a manual button in mine.
I hold it for 5 seconds when starting cold.
Once on the road, I P&G engine off, once warm it bump starts with no effort at all at speed above 10mpg, in high gear.
Probably does take some clutch wear, but it doesn't feel like much more than changing gears, certainly less than starting from a stand still.
Try it with the engine warm, in 5th gear, key on, I bet it's easier than you think. (I never drove your model of car though, so who knows)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?