View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #88 (permalink)
Hip001
In God we trust!

01 Beetle - '01 VW Beetle TDI
90 day: 42.33 mpg (US)

Black 450h - '14 Lexus 450h
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
The energy from maintaining hydraulic pressure is less than you might think.
Now a clutch on the ps pump is not a bad idea, but logistically how would that work?
And a clutch such as the type on an AC compressor uses quite a bit of electrical energy to keep engaged, further reducing the efficiency of the ps pump. .
This is not low hanging fruit and would take some effort in design, installation, and electrical connections, but, sounded like a logical idea. If the clutch I mentioned uses "quite a bit of electricity" that still seems acceptable given it would only be used for short periods time while parking. example: Lets say it uses 12% energy running 100% of run time. If it took 2% to electronically engauge a clutch, you would still be 10% ahead. Yes I pulled these numbers out of my A$$ for the example. I would take some of the Gurus on here to plug in real numbers. Just thinking outside the box.
Maybe a happy medium instead of removing the powersteering completely.

I am all for you guys who get the MAX mpg out of everything you work on and give major props to you and the extreem work you do! This is why i'm here!! IMHO I want more mpg but loosing a couple % to gain a little comfort is something that I can negotiate with Mrs Hip001 to keep the peace in the house