View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
MN Driver
2000 Honda Insight

The cost to replace the tires will be higher than the cost of the MPG lost. If you can stomach the loss of MPG ego, I'd use them during the summer before switching back to your usual summer tires. Same goes for if I bought a car with bad rolling resistance to the tires, even if the tires were new, I'd still use them as the cost of tire replacement is going to be around $300+ for most cars and your loss of MPG likely won't amount to that unless the car is a gas hog to begin with, in which case it LRR tires probably won't make as big of a difference due to the other factors involved. Just keep the tire pressure up to get better MPG with the winter tires. I've managed to get 70mpg trips most of the time on my commute home from work and 84mpg when I hypermiled the trip using Blizzak's and they are not very low rolling resistance at all but seem decent as long as they are sitting at 30 something psi. You'll wear through them quick on hot sun drenched asphalt though so be sure to watch the tread.