View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 01:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
MN Driver
2000 Honda Insight

Great find! Excellent price, I'm looking at twice the price to buy a car less functional and needing two body pieces replaced(although easy bolt-on pieces but still extra expense) and I'm thinking about passing on it unless I can haggle it down quite a bit, I sent the guy an email with questions and told him to call, he sent an email back vaguely answering my questions and not giving me a phone number, I'm not going cross-country for a car if someone won't talk to me. You got very lucky with that price, awesome!

Do you have a ScanGauge or a code reader? I had a code that was set but it didn't turn on the check engine light and came back immediately after clearing it, car drove fine but I also lost the autostop.

You can test to see if the car would restart itself after a normal auto-stop but the car is just inhibiting itself for going into it. If you stop at a stop sign, give the clutch a reverse stab in 2nd gear to stall it and push the clutch back in right away, as soon as the oil and battery lights turn on because the car realized it stalled, put it in 1st gear. Does the engine restart? Also the car doesn't auto-stop if you have the climate control temperature too far out of range or not in econ mode. Do this, drive until the car is showing 6 bars on the temp gauge, hit the off button on the climate control, and when you are slowing down put it in neutral before you drop below 20mph, normally it will auto-stop. Climate control likes to disable auto-stop, especially if its set to 60 or 90, if its below 45 degrees out and the climate control isn't completely off, or if the econ mode isn't selected.

Hope this helps.

nimblemotors, "looks to be in excellent condition, bodywise at least.
I would really suggest you convert it to all-electric, don't bother trying to get the engine working etc. just ditch it all, and put a DC electric motor in it."

The OP just bought a donor Insight in my price range. The thing is, the car he bought, as far as I can tell its probably working just fine, just with a few extra H's to it than a normal one. I just need to find one in the states for this much, or even a little more.
The Following User Says Thank You to MN Driver For This Useful Post:
War_Wagon (04-13-2011)