View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
p38fln
EcoModding Lurker

Escape #2 - '13 Ford Escape Titanium

C-max - '17 Ford C-Max SE
It's got so much fuel saving crap in the engine itself that it's kind of surprising the fuel economy is so terrible - (And, the fun part is watching eyes bug WAY out on regular pickup truck owners as they think I have lost my mind)

Twin, Independent, Variable Camshaft Timing - It can adjust the timing on the intake and exhaust cams for fuel efficiency, or overlap them to get the EGR effect required for emissions
Direct fuel injection - supposed to give it a cleaner more efficient burn. Fuel pressure is up to 2,500 PSI
Turbocharged - I assume everyone knows what this is for
Electronic throttle control - Supposed to make it a bit harder for a driver to snap the throttle open. The engine computer tries to figure out what you really meant and adjusts the throttle for you.
Electric Power Assisted-Steering - Purely for fuel economy. The downside is due to the massive weight of a F-150, the alternator had to be beefed up to 217 amps, but Ford still says it pulls less engine power than the power-steering pump.
Small displacement engine - When not boosted, the engine is supposed to get the same fuel efficiency as a 3.5 liter V-6. It's REALLY hard to keep it from boosting (Also, Ford kinda forgot to put in a boost gauge, and they soundproofed the truck too well - only way to know if its boosting is to roll down the window and see if you can hear a turbo or not)