View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
suspectnumber961
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson4web View Post

The reason why I spend so much time in testing methodology is to eliminate these climate effects. I really want to know what is reality, not which way the weather blows.
. . .

I am seriously thinking about dropping and cleaning the engine pan on the next, 1,000 mile change. But I'll have to get a sealant and scrape off the old sealant and that takes time. Still, doing it once every +100,000 miles, sounds like a small enough price to pay.
I can appreciate serious testing, but don't have the patience for it myself.

Some time ago A guy who repaired and modified a lot of Nissan vehicles was using ZMAX additive in engines as a cleaner...he found that there was some serious risk of sludging up the engine using this additive to the point he recommended pulling the pan to clean it and the screen.

I think Motorsilk might do something of the same thing, but I'm too lazy to pull the pan...but will run a quart of Gunk 5-minute engine flush for 10-15 minutes idling before changing the oil and adding the additive...and will probably spring for another filter after maybe 1K miles or so...and finish out at least 3K on the additive.

Seems that some people who have used MS find it takes some time to see an mpg gain...due to the sludge released?

My approach is to use lighter weight oils and use extra additives to try and make up for any loss of lubricity.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
The Following User Says Thank You to suspectnumber961 For This Useful Post:
larrybuck (06-24-2011)