View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
a peek through the grille

Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentPointofView View Post
I don't know about the later ZJ's, but I don't know how much more open the engine bay can get. Maybe on the later ZJ's and WJ's it's more sealed, but I've been under mine too many times. There's really not much there. Although you guys don't have much place for air to come in. We've got 2 grilles apposed to one, and the grille openings are wider. But you'd think that an open engine bay would be able to pull more air into the radiator. You're guys' aero much worse too, and the weight difference isn't much between the two. Maybe Jeep should have thought about the cooling system better? Just because the ZJ is larger doesn't mean it needs to be cooled more.
A week ago,at the laundromat,a fella had a new '08 Jeep 4-door.All the leading edges were softened with small radius at the grille bulkkhead and windshield frame/A-pillar.I looked into the grille openings and noticed that Daimler had completely sealed the entire entry duct for the radiator.I wasn't allowed to look under the hood but it struck me that this Jeep would be a good candidate for a no-mechanical-fan/electric fan retrofit,if Jeep hadn't already done it.On the Pinto project,CAR and DRIVER picked up a full mpg when they removed the fixed fan.I've driven thousands of miles with no fan on the Dodge.The electric fan does just fine around town.That's not to say that it might not be an issue,stuck in grid-lock with the AC operating.Thats not an issue for me but might be for others.Your grille block will be most effective if the duct is air-tight,as errant air won't be spilling around the undercarriage and you'll have better ram-air to the heat exchanger.