View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectnumber961 View Post
. . .
Some time ago A guy who repaired and modified a lot of Nissan vehicles was using ZMAX additive in engines as a cleaner...he found that there was some serious risk of sludging up the engine using this additive to the point he recommended pulling the pan to clean it and the screen.

I think Motorsilk might do something of the same thing, . . .
A very timely post:

This is the last of the previous tank of gas and initially the warm-up idle MAF rate at ~2.6 gm/sec, nearly 40% higher, compared to ~2.1 gm/sec looked terrible:

But I also noticed the engine rpm did not drop to under 1,000 rpm as it had in previous tests. I was pretty quick in shifting into "N" and this may have had an effect on the idle speed. Regardless, the cool-down MAF rate, ~1.9 gm/sec, this is much closer to earlier observations.

If I had just gone by the fuel consumption and not paid attention to the ICE rpm, I might have aborted the test thinking varnish/sludge effects. I'm still going to be watching this closely but I'm not quite as concerned as the initial data suggested.

I have to run another test this afternoon. This time I'll give the car a few more seconds before shifting into "N" and repeating my earlier drive.

Bob Wilson