View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
BrianAbington
Master EcoModder

Civic - '98 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 41.44 mpg (US)
EOC made me lose 3 MPG

This is my 3rd tank since purchasing the car and I am confused.

If you look at my fuel log...

First tank was 24 mpg. Was still really cold (30 and lower) and snowy so I had to let it warm up before driving to keep from fogging up windows etc...had to use 4WD a couple times.

2nd tank was 28 MPG not as cold (40's) so no need to let warm up, no 4WD and just drove it like a grandma.

3rd tank I was 25 MPG, (temps mid 40's-mid50's), I was EOC down hills and approaching lights. Left the engine off until traffic started rolling again.

Is it possible that my carb when restarting the engine uses a large gulp of fuel to do so? I am not totally familiar with carb's so is this a normal thing or is it possibly more to do with the fact that the carb is 25 years old and may not control fuel as well as it should?

Could it be that the carb and ignition is in a seasonal tune that makes it run more rich as the temps come up a bit?

I am pretty mechanically inclined but this is only my second car that I have ever owned that has a carb so I am lacking a bit in knowledge.

The fuel filter is in the engine bay and it is a clear type that looks pretty good inside.

Thanks for any input...I want to have consistent numbers before I start doing any serious aero mods.