View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #142 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
"Playing fair"? So yours is the sole, exclusive and "correct" definition of inflation?
Nope, not MY definition at all. The ORIGINAL definition, by economists.

Quote:
If it costs more it IS price inflation. What part of "it costs more" do you not understand?
OK, let's take a simple instance. You could, today, build a 1930s-capability drilling rig for not all that much money - well under $560K, let's say. (In fact, you could probably use a water well-drilling rig.) That would be far, far cheaper than the $560 million price tag of an ocean-going drilling rig like the Deepwater Horizon. So what part, exactly, of that price difference is due to inflation, however defined?

Quote:
Okay. Now 'put your money where your mouth is' and post your financial holdings as well as the house you said you live in, so we all can see it.
What? You castigate me for dragging personal stuff in (not that I do, except by way of illustrative examples), now you demand that I supply even MORE personal information? Watch out: your logic is about to implode :-)

Quote:
<sigh> You apparently need a financial counselor as well as a psychological one.ion, every homeowner in America is "super-rich". Do you realize how absurd all these statements of yours sound?
From over here it seems that you're the one who needs some tutoring in basic reading comprehension. I'll spell it out one more time: what I said is that most Americans can't afford to own large tracts of land. Now TAKEN IN CONTEXT, along with the link to an example that I described as not very large, anyone a) capable of comprehension; and b) not intent on creating an argument (another of your faults that you displace onto me) would have understood that by large, I meant areas significantly greater than the typical surburban lot.

I don't know whether you fail on a or b, or both, but it is getting tiresome.

Quote:
Okay Mr. Malthusian, you are only a few centuries behind the times, touting a worthless, arcane theory.
Yes, I tout all sorts of worthless, arcane theories. Like for instance Newtonian mechanics, evolution, economics according to Adam Smith... You see, the thing about these worthless theories is that although they may be centuries behind the times, they happen to work :-)

Quote:
I managed to live where I choose through effort and planning, not by winning the lottery. Most Americans do, or have done so.
Do you really live exactly where & how you choose? Or do you, like most people, merely do the best you can given your limited resources? And manage to delude yourself into believing that it's what you really wanted?

In any case, you're not answering the question, and if you can't/won't answer it, why should you expect me to? And again, who injected personal stuff by asking such questions? You, that's who. Typical self-delusion, to project your own faults on others.