View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
fjasper
Bookworm

Sylvio 2 - '04 Audi allroad quattro Biturbo 6-spd
90 day: 25.09 mpg (US)

Atlas - '04 Audi allroad 2.7T 6MT
90 day: 25.09 mpg (US)
It might (I say "might" because I don't actually know) be worth it to look the wheels over closely and see if there is anything stamped on them. The combination is limited to 50 miles or whatever, but that might only be because of the tire. I think wheels usually have some sort of service information stamped or cast into them, and you might be able to get some info on the specific wheel that way.

I've been thinking about the same thing for my allroad, because the spare wheel is a nice-looking 16x6 alloy wheel (instead of the 17x7.5 "twinspoke" monsters that are stock) that I know for sure will fit over the brakes, have the correct centerbore, etc. There are stickers on the assembly limiting speed and distance, but I'll have to pull it out to check to see if the wheel itself has the same markings as a regular wheel.

As far as motorcycle tires are concerned, part of the trouble is that they're terribly expensive (and don't last long). I'm lucky to get 9,000 miles out of a $300 set on the BMW touring bike.