View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
imzjustplayin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFact314 View Post
Yeah about a year and a half but I haven't been on or thought about hypermiling in the last 4 or 5 months.
Here are the EPA fuel economy numbers for the non-vtec Honda accord:
1985-2007 EPA fuel economy numbers: 23 cty, 30 hwy, 26 combined. 1975 EPA fuel economy numbers (CAFE): 26 cty, 39 hwy, 30 combined. From my experience, these numbers can be immensely helpful because if your car's tires are inflated to their maximum pressure, you accelerate pretty gently (people likely will pass you), you coast to stop lights, keep off the A/C and defrost and you cruise at 55mph, I would say that the CAFE numbers are possible. However I have lots of mountainous terrain where I live so I end up only achieving the 1985 EPA fuel economy numbers. I have achieved the CAFE fuel economy numbers from time to time, mostly if I drive in a flat area. However when I drive on the highway, I consistently get the CAFE fuel economy number of 38mpg, but that's only if I'm doing 53/55mph.

Here is an example of a vehicle I drive that only has 40K miles and for the most part is running fine since there is little chance of rust and POSSIBLY a partially clogged PCV system which is notorious on these cars..

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T A/T: 1985 EPA fuel economy numbers: 22 cty, 30 hwy, 25 combined....(I average 24-27mpg depending on time of year 50-50 city highway driving) CAFE fuel economy numbers:24 cty, 38.4 hwy, 28.87 combined. I can achieve these CAFE fuel economy numbers if it's not too cold outside and if I'm not climbing any steep hills, or at least thats my experience.