View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 12:02 AM   #31 (permalink)
msc
EcoModding Lurker

I like the goals of the project and have a few comments.

Keeping the code so it can be configured to run on the existing MPGuino hardware is a good thing. Limiting it to only running on the existing hardware would limit the potential of the effort.

The existing MPGuino hardware does a great job of keeping the hardware cost to a minimum so it's important to support. Keeping the code flexible to run on alternate hardware will help support hardware updates that would be necessary for some additional features like throttle body injection and voltage display. By alternate hardware I mean different I/O configuration/features but sticking with the same processor.

The two main features I see as beneficial to add would be support for pulse & hold injectors and support for throttle body injection. The pulse & hold injector support is strictly a interface circuit issue. For throttle body injection support both injectors would need to be monitored so there are hardware and software changes that would need to be made.

I don't have much in the way of programing skills to contribute but I have a lot of experience developing interface circuitry and building hardware.

I'm picturing a spinoff version of the hardware that adds support for extended features. Voltage is an easy add. PWM type pulse & hold is simple to support. I have some thoughts on the linear drive pulse & hold and could do some testing if there is demand. Clock would be a great add, for my needs the software clock would be fine but there are some advantages to going with the RTC option. I would like the USB port for software updates and it might also be used for streaming data.

It's important to not get too carried away with features or the cost and board size get out of control.

Mike