View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kodak
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyt View Post
You can check the difference on a stretch of highway with mileposts. Record your odometer / tripmeter to the tenth at the first milepost (123.4), then again 10 mileposts later (133.4). The difference in tenths (observed miles, 10.X, vs. actual miles, 10.0) is your odometer error in %.
I don't suppose there are any ways around this, are there? My odometer is digital and only records whole numbers.

Maybe I can do this: Set the trip odometer at the first mile marker. Then, have a passenger watch it until it changes. If it's right on the mark, we should know. But if it's off, I have another idea.

OR

If I maintain a constant 60mph (cruise)on flat ground, we can use a stopwatch to record the time it takes for the odometer to register one mile. Then, we can use the simple Rate x Time = Distance formula to hopefully uncover any discrepancies. I suppose the above can be done at any speed, but 60 would be easy.

The only variable is the amount of time it takes for the passenger to hit the stopwatch. There would be a minuscule delay, I suppose.