Thread: Hi
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
krousdb
Ecomodding Amateur

Cold Fusion - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 67.34 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Hi Brick, nice to see you.

I have to say I was mildly disappointed when you decided to trade the Accord rather than mod it out, but I understand. The Prius is a fun & capable machine.

I've been meaning to bug krousdb to chime in with reports on the aero tweaks he's done to his car (lower grille block, rh mirror delete, full undertray, wheel discs.. I think). He's had them on long enough now that I'm sure he has comparitive data from last year to this. I know he's recorded several personal bests in the last month or so.

But being the consummate engineer, he's been unwilling to credit the mods in the absense of a control.

Gotta love it. Seriously.
OK, OK, OK, OK fine. But absence of a control is a big deal.

Based on that data that I have, the cumulative effect of the mods is 0 - 4 MPG +/- 2 MPG at 59 MPH.

The data is confounding due to ever changing environmental conditions. Wind speed and direction can make up to a 15 MPG difference, best case vs worst case. The amount of traffic that is passing me (the corridor effect) varies from day to day, worth 2 - 4 extra MPG on a Friday vs any other weekday. Weekend mornings are nearly devoid of traffic so I can lose another 1-2 MPG when I work on the weekends.

What I really need is a control. Say someone with an unmodded Prius who lives near me who could take a highway cruise as the control car. Someone like Brick??

Last edited by krousdb; 05-04-2008 at 08:42 AM..