View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
dkv
Somewhere Coasting

I have been setting up ignitions for better spark with the following.

MSD or MALLORY Multi Spark Digital Systems. ( I prefer Mallory Digital.)

MSD Spiral Wound Universal Plug Wire Sets.

Non Resistive Spark Plugs : ie BP6ES.( For my engines.)

Spark Gap 0.050".

Brass center rotor contact and non resistive rotor.

This will give you a fat spark and correct Rf suppression without resistors in the plugs and wire ends like a lot of systems, ie : VW and Audi, pre COP Systems....or indeed the Carbon Saturated Wires.

Resistance kills spark power although giving RF necessary for today's computer wiring.

GM found some years ago that 0.100 ( One Hundred Thou. ) was the optimal spark gap for best initiation of compressed air/fuel mixtures. However, the gap was too large to sustain for long. ...so now they run 45thou to 60thou gaps.

You have to run resistance in the ignition system to comply with Federal Law.
A resistance load will give you a higher voltage spark up to a point.

If you cannot afford a MSD/MALLORY use a GM ignition system.

If you Google 'Ignition' or 'GM Ignition' there are a couple of sites detailing how to install a GM power unit and HP Coil to most any type ignition.

Next best system, although a little dated now was the Dodge type.....1975 up to around 1980 'ish. All salvageable from your local wrecking yard.

Another company used to sell Variable Coils...Jacobs Ignition. You can still find these on eBay and Craiglist for time to time. They seemed to work well but died due to people installing them in hot engine bays....they need cooling, just like the MSD/MALLORY does.

I installed a MALLORY on a NPR truck that I installed a 360ci Dodge engine in last year and it's still going strong but I installed the spark unit on the chassis rail away from the engine heat.

Last edited by dkv; 04-21-2011 at 02:51 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to dkv For This Useful Post:
zonker (04-21-2011)