View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
dkv
Somewhere Coasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonker View Post
increasing spark energy potential to the plug is helpful to a more efficient cylinder firing event but only to a point...................................the way i see it, low resistance wires and hi output coils do not add efficiency, but rather they help prevent the loss of same.
I agree.

Champion Plugs did a research paper and submitted the following:

Drivers cannot perceive one misfire in five on a regular production engine at roads speeds of 30mph and up..( I'm quoting from memory you understand from about 35 years ago.)

I must say I agree, due to the Misfire ECU program on most late model engines detecting misfire you can't feel....for the most part.

Because of valve slide-seating, ( Loose Valve Guides.) plug flash overs, poor fuel mixing and these type of events, a miss will happen from time to time on the best ic engines .

By creating a fat/hot spark, fewer miss events happen and economy is improved.
Once a fuel mixture is ignited , it is ignited, and no magic spark, wires or plug can make that any better.

What the idea is, is to have a spark that is more likely to cause a burn than not and what most European/Asian coil, wire, plug ignition systems don't do, is, fire every event.

My experience is over 45 years in this field, racing, road track and duration racing. There is a some hp and mpg to be gained with a premium ignition system.

The old Kettering points where the worst for misfires induced by the action of the points.....plus wear and tear retarding the timing.

A low resistive load will cause the coil to build more voltage before the avalanche of electricity pushes through and jumps the plug gap than none at all..

The MSD wires I use have a built in resistive loading but are very low per foot run. They are so designed so the resistance stays constant unlike those crappy Red generic wires from Auto**** and O'R*****s that last a year if your fortunate..

The MSD spiral wire around a ferric core induces it's own resistance and makes them low Rf without causing the coil to have a hernia pushing current through the solid resistive carbon wires.

Unashamedly crass product promotion :

The MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wire is "the" performance wire.Engineered from the inside out, the 8.5 offers everything you have everwanted in a wire; incredibly low resistance without electronic interference! In a single 12 inch length of Super Conductor Wire there is only 40 - 50 ohms of resistance! That is the lowest resistance of any helically wound wire. To accomplish this, we use a copper alloy conductor due to it's great voltage carrying capabilities. The low resistance results in less loss in spark energy so more reaches the spark plug. The conductor is wound extremely tight around a special center core. So tight in fact, that there is over 40 feet of conductor wrapped into a single foot of plug wire. This winding procedure, combined with a ferro-magnetic impregnated center core, produces an extremely effective Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) "choke". This choke, or suppression capability, keeps the EMI inside the wire where it cannot interfere with other electronics on your vehicle. The outer sleeve that surrounds the conductor assembly is just as impressive. A proprietary blend of silicone and synthetic material produce a sleeve that is highly resistant to high heat as well as abrasion and tears. The MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Plug Wire is available in Universal Kits and Bulk Lengths.