Thread: Air Filter
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 12:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
jtbo
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
There are also comments on the infiniti Forums that the oil from the K&N can affect the MAF sensor.
and that is a bad thing.
It can, wire type sensor is more prone to damage, occurs mostly when filter is soaked with oil.

But it is awful lot of work to wash and oil filter every few thousand miles, if not done, then it becomes almost same as not having a filter in first place.

My car's original filter is made from foam, similar to one found from mattresses or some car seats, there is paper version for smaller engine models that does fit and I have been using that, because it is a lot less of problem.

Mine is diesel so there is no losses from throttle butterfly, however only thing I have found is that car is lot noisier when using that foam filter, boost is not coming in any earlier. I did tested some K&N filter as had one lying around, boost came on bit sooner, horrible noise and probably worse filtering, also probably increases diesel consumption as it was impossible to drive normal speed without going to boost, but with paper filter that is very easy.

As you know in old diesel rpm plays big part from boost, I can have boost at engine braking if I use over 2500rpm and pump increases amount of injected diesel according to boost.