View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 01:16 AM   #53 (permalink)
FalconFour
EcoModding Lurker

LEAF - '11 Nissan LEAF
Oh, also... I'm'a leave room in the UI functionality for some new features like this "cd" thing, but until I even understand what CD refers to , I'm'a just be concentrating on improving the core MPGuino features (and re-implementing the ones I already use in my modded code). There'll be plenty of free space for new code, I'm sure.

What I'm getting stuck on (and the reason for busting out a flowchart) is that I have this:
- need to drive LCD faster than 500ms when the UI is triggered (button presses should update *immediately*)
- need those updates to branch outside the main "maintenance/runtime" loop to prevent "over-maintenance"
- need the cursor on screen to be an accurate visual cue for functionality, and update accordingly
- need to generate a wide variety of displays within a "function tree" of various display modes and sub-modes, such as (main) -> switched to options menu -> selected clock settings -> entered clock settings menu. There should be dedicated code for most screens, but the screen handler needs to be flexible enough to avoid "reinventing the wheel" inside each function, and each function can re-use a basic library of functions.
- need to maintain timeouts for some screens, so it will default back to the "running" gauge display after X seconds.
- need to maintain the configuration of the gauge display, perhaps in EEPROM during tank saving
- and since we'll be updating the EEPROM much more frequently, need to dust off my old EEPROM wear-leveling algorithm and figure out how to implement it for data instead of booleans Also, yeah, apparently wear-leveling does help EEPROM wear since each byte address is an individual cell according to the research I did (any Google search these days turns into "research" itself, ugh, Google's getting pretty bad). Wear leveling will ensure it never goes bad!

Loooots of fun stuff. Yeah, I've thought a lot about how usability could be improved with *absolutely zero* changes to the existing hardware

Oh, and as far as a name... hm. I dunno, I feel a bit hesitant to slap my name on the thing (even though I'm responsible for the PC-repair-tech phenomenon "FalconFour's Ultimate Boot CD" - heh). I kinda wanted to give it a catchy and abstract name that indirectly reflects its exact function, reflecting that it's a fuel efficiency computer for older cars (mainly), bringing new efficiency and technology to cars people generally regard as gas-guzzling clunkers. Something (easy to say) like "retromiler", "neogauge", "fueltrix"... or just dropping the descriptive name completely, maybe just calling it "Falcon" like a software code name. I'd be cool with that for sure