View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
GoodOak
Pickup Fuel Meiser

Blackline - '09 Nissan Frontier King Cab SE V6

Jetta - '11 Volkswagen Jetta Sportswagen TDI
best gas miser for under $10k?

I own a small business that does landscaping with native plants and natural areas restoration. With our growing crew we're finding a need for a second vehicle in addition to our small truck. So now I'm looking for a small "sales vehicle" that is very fuel efficient but won't cost us too much.

I am hoping to get something used and maybe even pay cash for it, thus my $10k price limit, but for a good value I could spend more and go with financing. We're looking for a small wagon or hatch back. Basically we need a vehicle that will carry two people and cargo, or 4 adults comfortably. I would like it to get in the neighborhood of 40mpg on the highway stock (then we'll see if we can do better with mods and hypermiling training for my staff).

Any thoughts? I really like the idea of the VW TDI models, but they seem expensive, and really hard to find.

RIDE A BIKE!: "If by tomorrow, every gas guzzler on the road were replaced by Priuses, we would still have the same gridlock, accidents, deaths, injuries and the same pressures to put more asphalt, strip malls and subdivisions." --Thomas Smart: SuperCommuter