View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 06:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
ShadeTreeMech
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
My biggest concern with zero (or, as I would suspect, almost zero ohm) wires would be the amount of radio frequency interference likely to occur. As was explained to me, such wires will interupt radio frequencies, the most noticeable would be a whining noise when listening to a radio station, and that it may affect sensitive electronics.

As far as a small ignition coil mounted directly to the spark plug, it is common in many Japanese vehicles as early as the mid 90s. My Maxima is one, as well as vehicles such as the 2000 Chevy tracker and mid 90s Isuzu Rodeos, and on some high performance Mitsubuisi cars. I believe some Ford cars also have it, and some produe such a strong spark the grounding electrode could erode away and the car still run fine.

I would think the easier solution would be to get a hotter coil and open the gap on the spark plug a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.