View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
03NHVW
EcoModding Lurker

always seem to be in front of you - '03 VW Jetta Sportwagon
...gonna chime in to suggest/defend the VW...I'm currently driving my 2nd Jetta, this time an '03 wagon, 2.0L. The first was a '87 4dr. I love the car for its handling and cargo capacity when necessary...but you're right about quality being suspect. My wife actually has the same year, same body style, same color car...except hers is a 1.8L turbo...spends more time in the shop with quirky VW-specific problems than on the road...also gets less mileage than mine. Me-34, her-27..on average, but she...let's say...doesn't belong on the website. My car has been totally reliable...no issues at all.

However, if I were able to, I would have found one of the last generation Tercels...there's NO beating Toyota reliability and the two friends I have that have Tercels get 40 mpg with no effort, certainly they don't bother with any sort of mods or hypermiling techniques...just sensible driving and proper maintenance. The dang things just don't pop up for sale around here. If you live in a city and have to parallel park, their short, stubby trunks are awesome.

My 2 cents, if its worth that.