View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
smck
EcoModding Lurker

daily transport - '00 vw golf tdi
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 69.33 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldairion View Post
It's 575 miles, and I could probably make it on one tank but the less fuel I use, the better!

I'm a huge car nut and I like a fast and flash car as much as the next guy, but my little "Diesel Dub" hasn't given me any trouble for the 103,xxx miles I've put on it and I'm all about maxing its capabilities.
Perform a ventectomy on your tank if you haven't already (fill tank completely for range extension). Run max sidewall pressure in tires. Make sure your skidplate is in place and in good shape, if you don't have one you should get one. Block off your grills. Make sure your t-stat is working properly (dash gauge is very inaccurate) 200F is about where you want to be. Nix the DRLs. Drive with windows up and no A/C when possible. No radio helps conserve power too. Make sure the snow cone is clean and check the intake for clogging. There is also lots of good info over on tdiclub.com to be had. And if you are at 103K and haven't changed your timing belt yet it's due. 575 with your car should be very easily doable. Have a nice trip and welcome to the club.
Seth