View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #94 (permalink)
FalconFour
EcoModding Lurker

LEAF - '11 Nissan LEAF
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
well, not to sound less than loving, but the "enable the newbies" approach by arduino itself is partly what facilitates a lot of headspinning once you get much past das blinkenlights. Once your bootloader craps itself, then what?

80,000 hits
arduino bootloader corrupted - Google Search

It's happened to me enough times that I said screw it.
Strange, I never once had an Arduino bootloader crap itself. I have toasted an ATmega328 chip though, in trying to build a etch-it-yourself Arduino board and having some traces crossed... but in the several hundred times I've flashed the chip, and the almost-like-a-year-now I've had my mpguino (flashed with the Arduino bootloader), it's not once crapped itself, not even rebooted (hence the working clock)

Also, flashing the missing Arduino bootloader onto an MPGuino chip is pretty simple, I built my "programmer" out of a parallel port hood (db25 male) with all the resistors and wiring inside the hood, then brought out to the pins via an old stereo CD-ROM audio cable. Broke up a pin header strip and glued it together to form the 2x3 block, and voila. Used an old laptop with a parallel port to program the bootloader with the Arduino software, and bam.

I guess another Arduino could also be used to flash a bootloader as well, there's a sketch in there that does it. So if you have another proper Arduino, you could use it to make an Arduino chip out of the MPGuino chip, then hack away