View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Aldairion
Black Smoke

Diesel Dub - '05 Volkswagen Golf TDI GLS
90 day: 38.44 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Aldairion Send a message via Yahoo to Aldairion
My car is a five-speed manual. The absolute best I've ever done with this car is 48 mpg on a trip from Atlanta, GA to Washington D.C. My dad and I drove up and we both drove pretty conservatively. I'm sure I can squeeze out a few more, and if I can crack 50 mpg, I'll be quite satisfied. Otherwise, in normal driving I manage around 40 mpg in a mix of city and highway driving.

I'm already a pretty diligent driver, so speed and smooth operating behavior is something I'm used to. My tire pressure is at the "normal" setting currently which is 33 up front and 42 in the rear. A harsh ride is not a big issue for me since I'll be on the interstates for almost all of my trip.

I'm also more comfortable in a warmer climate and I never use my A/C unless it's over 90 degrees outside, so I guess that won't be an issue! I think I'll need some tunes for the drive though. I'm also hanging onto my spare tire because I don't know what to expect on a ten hour journey. My car is due for an oil change soon anyway, so I may as well take care of it before the trip. I'll have to check out my intake. Also, what is the "snow cone?"

Thanks for the info!