View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #23 (permalink)
gasstingy
EcoModding Apprentice

No nickname - '17 Chevrolet BoltEV Premiere
I was self-diagnosed with leadfootitis some years ago. When I drive a car with an over-abundance of accelleration potential, leadfootitis kicks in. Actually, the car doesn't have to have that much power, it just has to feel like it does.

Allow my two illustrations please. I had a '95 Dodge Shelby Charger. The 2.2L turbo four cylinder far overpowered the chassis it was installed in. I found the true meaning of torque steer in that car and had a great time driving like a maniac.
Later, I had a 1.6L '90 Mazda Miata. One evening {wife riding shotgun} going through town, I drag raced a 4 cylinder Toyota pickup through town from three redlights in a row. I could get about half a fender on him on take-off and then he'd stay even with me. After it was over, the wife asked if I was going to alter the car to make it faster. Heck no!, I replied, I couldn't afford the speeding tickets! I also found the Miata's rev limiter racing a Honda Accord through town.

I can barely keep my leadfootitis in check as it is, modding for performance in the traditional form is hazardous to my drivers license. Driving for economy has its own rewards, both in satisfaction and in keeping more of my money in my pocket.