Thread: Two overdrives?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #26 (permalink)
t vago
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanspeed1 View Post
Woah, easy now, there's no need to get hostile. There are rules you know.
Rules, such as taking a thread off-topic?

Besides that, your theory is really nice to read and all, but it neglects real-world experience.

For instance, I consider my own setup to be pretty similar to Duner (the other guy with the Dakota with the installed fuel rail cooling mod). Therefore, I consider my engine's output to be similar to his.

I had a 45RFE transmission installed as original equipment, and I did some research into adding an overdrive back in 2009. After doing some research, and realizing that the physical 45RFE transmission was identical to the 545RFE transmission offered on later model Dakotas, I changed out the transmission computer in November of 2009 to electronically upgrade my transmission into a 545RFE. Mainly, what it did was add a 5th gear (2nd overdrive) to the transmission via software control of the planetaries inside the transmission itself. That had the effect of dropping my crusing RPM by about 300 RPM. That had the effect of raising my gas mileage from 14 MPG to 15 MPG, and that was back when my truck was getting relatively lousy gas mileage.

If I could drop that operating RPM even further, while maintaining the same speed as before, then my FE will go up. And, no, it's not an option to go 55 down an interstate with a 65 MPH speed limit.