View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
abogart
Above-Average-Miler

EcoCorsica - '96 Chevrolet Corsica Base
90 day: 32.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...sounds like "maybe" that knock-sensor signal could be used in conjunction with MAF and/or MAP to approximate a BSFC boundary?
I think this definitely denotes a BSFC boundary, though it would be entirely dependent on the fuel. I believe this boundary would change significantly with a higher grade fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
If you can keep the timing from retarding it should translate into higher MPG. I have read on other sites where they are disconnecting the knock sensor to improve MPG.
That's my thinking as well. I have a feeling that the KR value is less than optimum timing for the load/speed, when it comes into effect.

Disconnecting the knock sensor??? If you want to replace pistons and head gaskets perhaps... Detonation is nothing to mess around with. If the sensor is picking up a knock, then there is already detonation occurring in the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
My gut feeling though is that if your car doesn't require it, then using it probably WONT show any improvement. But that is just my guess. If your car hits 31-36 with regular gas, the 'ign' fuction can't run at 40.
As far as I know, my car is made for 87. It has a compression ratio of 9.6:1, less than some of the newer cars that are made for regular fuel. My IGN usually runs at 29-32 highway cruise under normal load with regular fuel. It seems that the effects of low-grade fuel occur under moderate- to high-load conditions, with as low as 20% throttle opening, well within the range that I normally accelerate. So my thinking is that higher-grade fuel might benefit my engine by allowing for higher loads and more throttle opening during acceleration.