View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 12:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
NoCO2
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
I taught my mom the tricks I've been learning on here. The one she has learned the best would be not accelerating to a red light. I showed her that by anticipating red lights she could actually save a good amount of gas and possibly also get where she's going a little faster because she never had to stop so didn't need to take the time to accelerate (I know, that's stretching it, but she liked the idea).

I've also got my dad into the fuel conscious mode as well. He owns a 2007 Infinity QX56 (the big honking SUV built off the Nissan Armada). He was getting around 22MPG with this thing on his daily commute into the city. He already drive pretty steadily, he anticipates lights and doesn't accelerate hard. But I managed to convince him to start driving the grocery getter (2000 Accord V6) to work rather then the SUV. He is now getting almost 30MPG on his commutes and he keeps asking for ways he can do better, so it's almost like we're in a neck and neck race for who can get the best gas millage (of course I'm still winning with a 2MPG better average score and 6MPG better "best" score).