View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kincurd
EcoModding Lurker

I'm convinced a (Chinese) CF Moto EFI scooter is the way to go...

I basically am setting out with very basic criteria for my scooter. I want it to be just big enough for the highway, fuel-injected, and affordable.

For my fair weather commuter, the CF Moto seems to be the most logical option. If it weren't 2k cheaper than the Japanese equivalent, I wouldn't think twice before choosing the Japanese bike over it. But it seems like if you are careful in your selection, Chinese machinery can be just as reliable.

The only problem I foresee, is that I don't know of any CF Moto dealers near me. So I will have to go with a reputable online dealer. The problem that entails is getting support for my scooter. I plan to do my own work, since it fits in my apartment's living room, but even so, I haven't ever delved much into being a mechanic, without the help of something like a Hayne's manual, so I could really have my work cut out for me. I don't expect the thing to fall apart under my feet, but I don't expect it to never need parts replaced, especially with how many miles I will end up putting it on it for my work commute.

The models I was looking at in particular, are the CF Moto Glory, or Charm (same 150cc engine, and fuel injection). Haven't made up my mind between those two very similar models. Seems like the glory is best, but I like the idea 2inch bigger wheels on the Charm.

Seriously though, it's like only $2,000 for one of these fuel-injected Chinese scooters. CF Moto seems to be among the best, in terms of Chinese machinery. For about 4k, I can get a brand new, equivalent Japanese scooter, but since the whole idea is to save money, it seems to defeat the purpose (maybe 3k if used, or 2.5k if I'm really lucky; thinking about the 125CC Yamaha Zuma, in particular as a desirable option).

Again, there's the whole support network that is lacking for CF Moto, at least in my area. There are plenty of Chinese scooter dealers where I live, but strangely enough, none of them seem to dabble with CF Moto. I will check again with a couple dealers and see if that's really an issue. I still have until about August until I have enough money in savings to justify getting a scooter, so there's plenty of time to think about it and do more research. At this point though, I should basically plan on studying how to work on these puppies.