View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #37 (permalink)
abogart
Above-Average-Miler

EcoCorsica - '96 Chevrolet Corsica Base
90 day: 32.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjasper View Post
I've been considering putting on a pitchier prop and some fairings to see if I can get a little better economy out of it, but I'm not sure coroplast and duct tape would hold up very well.
Well it's nice to meet a fellow pilot here , I am currently in the process of studying for my PPL checkride, so I can't say that I have much experience, but all of the FAA-mandated information is still fresh on the brain. Maybe we should round up the pilots on here and start up an aviation thread.

I know if I owned a plane that I used primarily for x/country flights, I would definitely have a cruise prop on it. The economy cruise charts for the Warrior say that wheel fairings add 7 kts at cruise speed, the difference between 110 kts and 117 kts, I'd take it. And my guess is that 100LL can be safely leaned a little more at cruise than mogas.

I've never actually seen somebody hand-prop a plane... but I have to say that the 2nd try is definitely good! The Warriors don't like to start even with the electric starter.