View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 01:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kincurd
EcoModding Lurker

My old 76' Honda always had shifter problems that needed attention, it got old, for me. Especially because I had no place to really work on it, in the winter. Had to rely on the shop.

I cross my fingers that my brand new Chinese bike would have less problems than that. Actual owners of the EFI line of CF motos seem to say nothing but good things. Negativity is mostly centered around general skepticism towards Chinese products, but so far, I have not come across any real horror stories.

I would prefer a manual-shifting bike. It's what I'm familiar with, and I've come to learn through here, it's better for fuel savings. It doesn't seem to be a readily available option in the scooter market though. Converting it to semi-automatic also is out of my realm of expertise. However, general aero-mods and things a simpleton like me can grasp, I am willing to do.

Small displacement with EFI really narrows the options. If I did go for a 250cc, the Suzuki TU250X, and the Honda CBR250R are very appealing. Problem is, cost. Being newer models, it's even harder to find them for a good price. 3k isn't so bad, I guess, but it's still 1k more than I would otherwise pay.

I'm not ruling out having a more fun bike though. A dualie/enduro would be a blast. But for my commuter bike, it better be cheap, and fuel efficient.

With EFI, I can theoretically make it flex fuel, and have a MPG gauge on it without as much hassle (I did this with the Corolla, but I admit, things are more readymade for such a common car; flex fuel is kind of a gamble still, in terms of savings; haven't used e85 in ages, because it hasn't been cheap enough).