View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 05:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Harpo
EcoMudder

Harpo's Honda - '05 Honda Civic VP
90 day: 42.64 mpg (US)
Only trip data

No more logged quantitative data except idle conditions. I've been only logging trip data, and when in those trips FWT/IAT get to ideal. Obvioulsy FWT and Block Temps have the most impact. That's why we always try to drive a warm car, or use block heater.

I had the pleasure of driving my STD trip to work Saturday and was able to simply to a "stop and go" to return home. In that trip, my startup was at 75° OAT, and it took approximately 5 minutes to reach 180°FWT. IATs were at 75° same as OAT. After about 15 minutes, the IAT begain to climb, but only reached ~ 85° before that leg was over. Traffic conditions were quite similar and I minimized my full stops as usual.

The return trip had startup at 80°OAT, IAT at 100° and FWT at 180°. The IAT climbed to 105° within the first 3 miles due to underhood heat soak. As compared to my normal cold startup after work, similar WX conditions from the last week, the avg FF was lower by around 6%.

I believe this was mainly due to operating hot engine, and having manifold air near perfect for the entire trip. There's nothing flat, straight or predicatable enough to test FF / MPG reliably on my trips. You can look at my return trip data, last two entries.

I've blocked most cold air entry from right adjacent to air inlet pickup and have upper grill block, thus forcing the intake to pick up more underhood air. I have noticed this week, with rising temps (88° OAT) that the IATs have gone as high as 120° and FF at idle has dropped to as low as .20gph when at a dead stop at the end of return trip home.

I'm very keen on hearing ping, since I've dealt with many high compression (10.5cr-11.0cr) pump gas motors making over 700hp with advances as high as 38°BTDC. It's a fine line between success and failure in a big inch stroked motor. I guess I can start looking at timing changes compared to IAT during isolated load conditions to develop a timing curve between changes in IAT.