View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
GreenGoer
EcoModding Lurker

Poorly swaped VTEC-E

Hi, so when the original D15Z1 engine in my 1992 Civic VX was done at around 540 000 km my local parts guys said they could get me the same engine from japan way cheaper than fixing my original engine. This was months ago, before I really knew anything about my car. All I knew was that I get 600km on my 38L tank at the worst of times. I expressed to the guys that this was the only reason to keep this car and if they could get the same engine then I'm in. $850 later I drove away with a VTEC-E and now I'm getting about 400km to a tank, that's like 35mpg.

My original D15Z1 went to scrap and I'm told its likely melted down. My research has taught me that there were some parts from the original that I (or maybe they) should have kept. My question is has anyone done this swap? I'm told the JDM intake is part of the problem, is there any other parts that are essential to get me back to my 55mpg. I came across one post somewhere that outlined this swap, this was before I knew what I was reading and I can't for the life of me find it now that I might understand what it said.
Any info would be helpful, I made a half assed attempt to find an intake then thought I might as well get the whole plan before I start stabbing in the dark. Thank you to those who responded to my plea for a VX intake, I'm hit and miss these days.

Cheers