View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 03:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
ik04
Diesel Doer!

Exclamation A dream come true for a VW nut!

Howdy all,

I am in Germany for a while and I have seen all those great high MPG cars everyone talks about. I have always wanted to drive/own a true high MPG car just to get a good perspective of how things should be in the less enlightened USA.

With that said, I am now driving my very own 2001 Volkswagen LUPO 1.7L SDI Diesel! So far, it seems like any other small car except it gets nearly 80 MILES PER GALLON! I will post my mileage as I learn how to drive this thing better to squeeze the max MPG out of it.

It is not a race car and requires very different driving technique to avoid getting squashed on the autobahn. I grew up driving low-powered cars, so I am adapting very well...

It also has a Bin 4 sticker, so it is super clean also! That is not my main concern though, as I believe the total fuel consumed is more important to reduce than the emissions produced per KM/Mile...

Anyway, I'll let you all know how much fuel this thing is using as soon as I put some Diesel in the tank. That may take a while at the rate I am going!

We'll see!