Thread: Tire wear help!
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
barkl0r
EcoModding Lurker

Tire wear help!

Guys, wondering if you could help me diagnose the tire wear on my Focus (Mk1, 1.8tddi, 2000, 146k, hatchback - 5dr, 42psi, veg oil ftw).

I bought the car in January, at the MOT he said I nearly failed on my tire wear on the inside... so I looked at it, and it was bald inside - almost chamfered looking. (pics at end) You can hopefully see how the rest of the tire has decent tread remaining - at least 4mm all over, maybe 5 or 6. Gutting that this is basically a good tire with potentially lots of life, but the wear is lopsided and has knackered it.

I ordered new tires, but they are not here yet. Tonight I swapped them front to back for a few long journeys as they aren't healthy - one of the back tyres had the tell tale swapped-about chamfer look, the other was as good as new.

I wonder what causes such heavy inside edge tyre wear? Camber?

It is possible that those tyres were under pressure, but when I got the car I checked and the worst of them was 27psi which is OK for the car. A bit low for me; I run them at sidewall max for MPG anyway - there is no harm in this, but 27 isn't that low.

Would be so appreciative of your advice. I have a set of Uniroyal Rain Experts on the way - should be here in a week or 2 and I would really like to get decent miles out of them.

Thanks so much, here are the pics:

Mike