View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Joenavy85
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Why would anyone have to pull the head to change a solenoid, Joe? They'd be right there under the valve cover...
with the way the auto industry as a whole designs some things we'd be screwed by this, if someone with common sense designed it you'd be correct

Quote:
designed to move away from the frailties of the existing system.
with multiple ecomodders going 200,000+ miles on a single engine(512,000 miles in the case of Basjoos in his aerocivic) i'm failing to see a frailty there

Quote:
With a cam, you've got high speed rotation, a 2:1 reduction, and reciprocal actuation, to which I personally believe the valve springs do not return that which they take in energy to compress.

With electronic valves, the engine management can precisely control valve movement based on flow, velocity, O2sat, load, tps, engine temp, etc. It can precisely meter airflow to provide the best possible combustion characteristics for a given set of parameters.
Like i said, i'm not doubting the huge gains that could be had by implementing this system, but then all of us need to buy cars that have it, or find a way to swap the engine into our current vehicle, in order to benefit from it. More than likely, until the bugs are worked out of the system, it wouldn't be worth the extra money.

Quote:
Cams are so last decade... Time for a change.
So are most of the vehicles on this site, where's your point on that. why go out and buy something brand new? there are so many cars that get plenty good mileage that you could buy that would give a much better ROI.