View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 12:34 AM   #22 (permalink)
zonker
500 Mile Metro Traveler

'89 Dakota LB - blue - '89 Dodge Dakota V6 LE
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

'17 Fiat 124 - SunFiat - '17 Fiat 124 Spider Classica
90 day: 30.51 mpg (US)

'89 Metro - The Egg - '89 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 50.71 mpg (US)

'94 Alto - The Box - '94 Suzuki Alto Ce-L
90 day: 39.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
It's not gibberish, and there is no "wiggle room".

Right of way laws are universally applicable (even on the Left coast), although few drivers today understand the concept of right of way or heed it.

The vehicle ("ALL traffic") on the thoroughfare has the right of way. All entering traffic (read: those about to merge or actually "enter") MUST yield to it.

Part two of your law addresses a car that already DID yield and has entered the highway successfully and safely. Others approaching from behind must then yield to that vehicle. In other words, you can't rear-end a vehicle traveling in the same direction as you are, that has already entered the roadway before you approached it, even if it is moving more slowly than you.

The OP is following the law and does not need to be traveling more than the minimum allowable speed limit, especially if he is in the rightmost lane, which is where slower moving traffic (such as him) belongs.
Thank you for the clarification - I kind of thought that as well, that b applies only when a is adhered to. But I see that all it would take is a well bankrolled lawyer to argue his point to get the mad merger off the hook by claiming the driver in traffic did not yield once he made the safe merge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
If they flip you the bird, smile and wave at them. If they hit you, expect to be paid 100% for their failure to yield right of way.
When I have an uptight offending driver, I smile and yell "Jesus Loves You!"

Because I sure the hell don't!