View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #29 (permalink)
jtbo
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
I don't drive without using my brakes, but I rarely have to use them for a quick stop. I do use them for slowing though - brakes are cheaper and easier to maintain than clutches...

There is something here call the 2 second rule - choose a fixed point and see if 2 seconds elapse between the car in front passing that point and you doing the same. If under 2 seconds, drop back.
I don't use clutch either, well only when starting to move from standstill. Not using brakes teaches eye to see lot further ahead and to plan ahead, which results better fuel economy.

Still I do use brakes occasionally, but then I push them firmly, like on downhill with speedtrap on unknown road, I brake quick and firmly, that makes parts move and does not wear pads so much, keeps brakes functioning perfectly.

That I have learned from circuit racing, brake temps get high if riding the brakes, when braking it should be done stong and quick, then back to power.

Of course traffic sometimes gets on way, but healthy gap helps with that quite a bit.

2 seconds is told to be average reaction time, car travels over 40 meters in that time, stopping on dry asphalt takes additional 50 meters, so anything less than 100 meters is quite little gap on speeds of 50mph, ~5 seconds gap is minimum recommended, more is better.